Your liver and you
The liver is a vital organ of the body. Some of its basic functions include the removal of toxins from the body, storage of vitamins and minerals, maintenance of healthy blood sugar levels, regulation of blood clotting, among other important functions.
How to maintain a healthy liver
- Reduce the intake of toxins like tobacco, insecticides, aerosol products, illicit drugs, etc
- Practice safe sex to avoid sexually transmitted diseases, including hepatitis C
- Get vaccinated against hepatitis A and B
- Exercise regularly to reduce weight and keep fit
- Eat healthy and avoid processed foods, red meat, sugar
- Drink lots of water
- Reduce alcohol intake as alcohol can damage the liver
- Follow prescriptions correctly to avoid wrong drug usage and overdose as these can harm the liver
- Inform your doctor/pharmacist about any over-the-counter medicines, supplements, and herbal remedies that you use.
Best foods for the liver
The liver needs the type of foods that will help to make it stronger and healthier, not the foods that will damage or shorten its lifespan. Here are some of the foods that are best for your liver –
- Foods rich in fiber like oats, avocado, apples, beans, walnuts, sweet potatoes, dark chocolates, etc
- Green vegetables
- Green tea due to the presence of a type of antioxidant called catechins in them.
- Water, water and more water
- Olive oil.
These foods can help lower the risk of liver diseases, protect the liver from toxins and increase the level of antioxidants and detoxification enzymes.